Learning Journal - Week 10
Week Review
This past week I got to spend some time working with inheritance, interfaces, and Git. Before, I wasn't too familiar with any of these principles -- Git especially -- but after some practice I'm beginning to pick these concepts up.
To review, I learned how interfaces and classes work in Java. Coming from a C++ background, I was already familiar with the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming (OOP), but translating it to Java was a larger challenge than I originally thought. I spent time learning about interfaces, which are base "blueprint"-like objects with no built-in functionality. It lets a class implement it, and even have multiple interfaces. Once the class implements that interface, it has to also make the functionality that the interface has. This let's other classes and methods call any type of object that uses that interface as an argument which is pretty neat.
I also learned about class inheritance with Java and extending/overriding base classes. It was a function of C++ I was familiar with already, I just had to get used to the @Override and extends keywords.
My biggest learning concept for this week, however, has been working with Git and Github. I have never used them in any fashion prior to this class, and at first I was quite lost but the longer I've used it the more comfortable I've gotten with it, and I'm even starting to appreciate it. It helps keep me organized in many ways and makes code updates feel a lot more significant. I've started to use the terminal quite a bit so that I can use git status to check the current staging status on my code, and once I'm ready to take a snapshot of my changes I use git add . to add all file changes along with git commit -m "{message}". For pushing, I use the built-in push feature of IntelliJ IDEA, and for checking out branches I usually use git checkout -b {branch name}, but I will also occasionally use the IntelliJ IDEA built-in version as well.
Overall, this past week I've gotten more familiar with Git, IntelliJ IDEA, and Java in general and heading into my project I've felt quite confident that I can knock it out!
Comments
Post a Comment