Learning Journal - Week 5
Teammates' Goals
One of the best ways to get a perspective of my own goals is to get ideas from my peers and see what they plan on accomplishing, and looking at it from an analytical sense can be a great way to learn how to critique my own. I picked out two students from my team to review their educational and career goals from last week.
Teammate 1
"I think your educational goals, while broad, are really solid goals to follow. The program offers various information and can cover a lot of topics, and being able to retain all the information itself sounds like a really solid goal. Could also be helpful to plan how specifically you intend on retaining the information over time, like maybe specific projects or portfolio items that reflect on each subject! Learning specific languages is also a very useful skill to have while you're taking the program, like Python and SQL like you said. I reflect over something very similar.
It's important to have career goals as well, and it's good to have your eyes set on a specific profession if you can determine it. Knowing that you plan on going into backend development can help you start to prepare, maybe you can amend to your goals to work on a portfolio that reflects your knowledge!
Overall, really great and solid goals!"
Teammate 2
"Your goals are so neatly written out and specified! It's awesome that you applied the SMART measurement to each of your goals, it really links it in your memory. It was also really smart to envision yourself accomplishing that goal so you can imagine yourself in that position, that's something I think I'll give a try with for my own goals. Same said with your professional goals; it's awesome that you're set on your career goal and you are already envisioning the type of position you would want to land in!
The style that you wrote everything in is outstanding, and very clear. If you really wanted to tie everything together, maybe you can make another goal in between your educational and professional goal, such as any projects or experience that could help you land your desired work.
Overall, I really enjoy the style everything is formatted in, the amount of detail for each of your goals is incredible!"
Capstone Ideas
After looking over a few different capstone ideas, I thought of a few interesting ideas of my own that really showcase my educational progress.
Idea 1: Automated Time Management Tool
- An application that takes in someone's work schedule and goals and distributes them over time automatically
- On a weekly basis, the application can either input an image of a work schedule calendar and automatically determine the time worked, or take in a manual input of days and time worked, as well as commute time. Then, the program will take in a list of each task needed to be completed, such as homework assignments or projects, and how much time is needed to achieve each one. It will then generate multiple schedules for when to work on specific tasks based around the work schedule and other inputted factors.
Idea 2: Personal Music Server
- Many people are ditching streaming services in favor of physical and personally-owned digital media. The biggest examples of this are movies and music. In this application, users will be able to create their own music server effortlessly and keep the streaming-service level of convenience -- being able to search for music and keep playlists synced across multiple devices. A user can add a song to their list on their computer, then when they go in their car and plug in their phone the new song will already be automatically downloaded for offline high-fidelity listening.
Idea 3: Programming Language Translator
- The new way to learn new programming languages, frameworks, and libraries. Apply the knowledge you already know and let this program translate it to different languages and frameworks, powered by large-language AI.
- Example: learning Java but only have experience with Python? Write a program out in python and let this web application go line by line and translate it to Java code, and even notating what changes were made along the way.
- Example: Never made a Discord bot before but want to? Write out a program, comment in the functionality you want and do the rest of the logic yourself. Simply let the translator apply the framework automatically, as well as teach you what it applied.
My personal favorite from these three ideas is the last, and it came to me after conceptualizing the original 2. I feel like it solves a lot of issues I've had in the past before, having to buy online courses or study many YouTube videos just to learn a new topic that I only need a few pieces of information for. I don't believe it should be capable of generating brand new code as to avoid instability, just intend for it to translate individual lines of code.
Learning Journal
From this week of learning, I got to plan ahead on project management. I was able to collaborate with my team to come up with creative ideas for a YouTube video, as well as begin to plan what I wanted to make my capstone project on. Additionally, for my CST-300 class I spent some time playing around with AI and using it in a different manner than I ever tried before. I was able to give Prompt Engineering a try and attempt to get ChatGPT to act more as a tool and give it specific set instructions and feedback to output a piece of my essay. While I don't think I would use it's direct output, it gave me further understanding of how to utilize large-language models to my advantage and how to make the most of their utility.
Comments
Post a Comment